Chesapeake Bay, United States
Aspiring writer/illustrator of books for children of all ages, friendly introductions to science through sailing and nature play.

Monday, June 22, 2009

Ceramics Cont'd


My final project consisted mainly of me having an excuse to make random body parts. Here is a mandible. With an 19th century, Oscar Wilde inspired throat covering attached. Please forgive the wonky angles of the photos, I'm behind in my posting and plan to make amends after catching up!

Creepy hand, since shattered, attached in an ill-conceived manner to the main project itself. Post will follow with those photos.

Poor photo due to the heat of the kiln-room, carrying back the wreckage.

My pieces were laying on the second shelf up, Raphael had pieces on the shelves above that. I had cleared most of my body off of the kiln-shelf before snapping this picture, he had not - those are his exploded pieces. My prof. was aghast.

Judging from the background of this photograph, it is clear I had no intentions of sharing it, but here is the same iron, same stage (bone hard, ready to go off to the kiln for the second and final firing), but with comparison to the iron it mimics. You can tell I made mistakes, beginning with the misproportioned handle-bottom, I had to take out the ol' artistic license to fix proportions. I am unhappy with the height, as you can see, my piece has a much shorter nose than it should.


I have to agree with Jeannette, this will make a great flower pot! I have images of the iron after the glazing to be posted later.