Chesapeake Bay, United States
Aspiring writer/illustrator of books for children of all ages, friendly introductions to science through sailing and nature play.

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Textiles Embroidery Project

Yea, exploration of femininity after the loss of my paternal matriarch.  Pretty fully loaded imagery, particularly given the materials.  Kind of painful in retrospect, but I definitely needed to make it.  I was dressing like a Mennonite at the time as well, pretty classic phases.  Eh.





The sisal I used was so curly from being on its spool that I chose to steam-iron it into submission, it still smells like hay in the apartment.



Techniques and methods: I will mention here my gratitude for the universal applicability of crochet hooks, especially when a nice long and sharp awl is at the ready to accompany any such endeavor as threading a pillow onto a chair :)
Embroidery, hand and machine sewing, wrapping and mache-ing, and deconstruction!